The word ‘Wood’s used in major film industries like Hollywood, Bollywood, Tollywood etc.
Have you ever thought of why wood as a suffix in every movie industry is used?
The name Hollywood was coined by H.J.Whitley and so he was known as father of Hollywood. In 1870 Hollywood was a small community and in 1903 was incorporated in the municipality. And in 1910 officially it was merged with the city of Los Angeles.
An American film industry which named after the district called Hollywood the central region of Los Angeles, California (US) which means happiness and goodwill. This place is home for entertainment industry, including several historic stories. Therefore, we can say that it is a city where stories are created, stories that come to life on a screen and allow viewers the chance to escape their everyday lives for a bit. Its name has come to represent the motion picture industry of the United States.
The Bengali industry is based in Tollygunge, a place in kolkata.
In the early 1930s the term ‘Tollywood’ was coined by the magazine (believed to be junior statesman), just like that of Hollywood for the Bengali film industry. Now a day’s Tollywood is famous for telegraph cinema replacing ‘H’ from Hollywood by ‘T’. This was a precedent for other ‘Woods’ in India and the Telugu film industry in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- Bollywood emerged its name by simply replacing ‘H’ from Hollywood with ‘B’. The first letter from Bombardier where Hindi film industry was based on. It became the largest in the world overtaking Hollywood in the number of films produced.
- Ollywood to the odia language movie industry in odisha.
- Mollywood for malayalam film Industry in kerala. Replacing ‘H’ from Hollywood by ‘M’.
- Kollywood is used for Tamil cinema. The name derived from kodambakkam and Hollywood I.e. replacing ‘H’ from Hollywood by ‘K’. Kodambakkam is the happening place for Tamil cinema activities.
- Sandalwood for Kannada Language Film industry in karnataka. As Sanda is abundant in karnataka.
- Sollywood for sindhi film industry.
Not just in india but few more south Asian countries were also adopted wood nick name to their film industry.
- Lollywood refers to urdu and punjab Films of Pakistani Film industry based on city Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan.
- Dhalliwood or Dhallywood for Bangladeshi Film industry based on city Dhaka.
- Kariwood for Pakistani film based on the city Karachi.
- Kalliwood for Nepal Cinema based on the city of Kathmandu.
- Pollywood for Cinema in Punjab or Past cinema.
- Chhollywood for Chhattisgarh Cinema based on the Chhattisgarh Language.
Which wood sounds interesting? Comment down below.